Today we visited two Sunshine Centres where each of our
teams displayed initiative, resourcefulness without resources and leadership
skills as they ran games, dance, drama, songs and even taught the children how
to flip a water bottle. All RHAC students stepped up to lead the K-6 students
in at least one activity. These wonderful interactions stretched our students
in positive rewarding ways. The Sunshine kids performed songs in Khmer for us. Our
stationery gifts were gratefully received. Students discovered how richly their
smiles and games blessed them as well.
Walking away from the Sunshine Centre, I have a huge smile
on my face, seeing how children in poverty live and how happy they are despite their
circumstances. When we arrived we played ‘duck, duck, goose’ and the kids were
really involved and understood how to play very quickly. When we gave them
their gift packs, they were extremely happy and showed each other what they
got. Every child had a smile on its face the whole time, which made the
students from RHAC happier. I enjoyed giving the children the gifts and showing
them how to use the bubbles. I feel like I have helped them and they have definitely
walked away with a sense that we love them, and they are not forgotten about. -
Ethan
The day today was filled with many games, a
performance by us of the story of Joseph and song about God. The games included
duck duck goose, stuck in the mud, captain says (with an Australian twist) and
Simon says. With each game we had to come up with creative ways to communicate
the rules and show them how to play. We also did the hokey pokey and head,
shoulders, knees and toes. When explaining and showing the kids the game, they
all understood pretty fast.
The kids inside the Sunshine Centre have next to nothing yet
they are always happy, willing to laugh, they're smart and they are willing to
sacrifice the little they have for the people they love. This experience showed
me what type of people live here and I am so grateful I got to see this as it
truly opened my eyes. – Denver
I was part of the group that went to the Sunshine Centre in
Phnom Penh. It felt a little awkward at first, trying to entertain a group of
children with little preparation or confidence, but after a while, our group and
the kids grew a bond. We acted out the Bible story about the Lost Sheep, and
taught them about our country. I played our National Anthem on the flute and a
few other pieces. We described our weather and I drew our native animals and
country shape on the white board. We got the children to dance, sing and play
with us. By the time we had to bid goodbyes, the RHAC and the kids had made
friendships and memories that can last a lifetime. The reward for us after the experience,
was knowing that we gave those kids joy, laughter and fond memories of today
and probably made the highlight of their week. - Laura
Today is the 3rd day of our
Service Trip around Cambodia. Our trip today took us to one of the
sunshine centres many schools around Cambodia. It was the task of myself, the
rest of my group members and the teachers to entertain and help teach the
children ranging from the ages of 5-14 about Australian culture. In my personal reflection it was
my favourite and the best experience I had on the trip so far. As Mr Conoulty
said in his reflection of the day, what you put it you really get out. I felt
this particularly applied to me. I felt I put in a lot of effort and what I
received was an experience that can't be replaced. I experienced some
unforgettable exchanges with the children and it was really eye opening to see
how similar they are to children just like you and me in Australia. These
children even with their hard lives were so eager to enjoy themselves and have
a good time. This was great to see and after they left, the feelings they left
with me were still there as I was still smiling hours after they left. The
experience was unforgettable and will stay with me forever. As the trip
progresses I hope for more just like this one. - Harry
A delicious lunch was enjoyed at Jars of Clay before our
quick flight to Siem Reap. A two hour bus trip took us out to Svay Sisaphon.
PICTURES FROM TEAM B
| - A game of Duck Duck Goose - |
| - Heads and Shoulders, Knees and Toes - (Chris & Dean) |
| - Bottle Flipping in Cambodia - |
PICTURES FROM TEAM A
| - Duck Duck Goose - |
| - The Story of Joseph and his colourful Krama/Scarf (for when you don't have a coat) - |
| - Pretending to be Australian cockroaches - |
| - Giving out gifts - (Aime) |
Looks like a fun day! Thanks for the update.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for helping us get a picture of your amazing adventures. The blog and photos are great
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteCóól
ReplyDelete